Calor Gas Ltd is issuing a product recall with immediate effect on all 6kg CalorLite® cylinders manufactured between 2008-2011 inclusive. All such cylinders must be returned to a local CalorLite® stockist immediately.
Upon return, the customer will be issued with a free of charge replacement 6kg CalorLite® cylinder.
Please note that our network are currently being briefed and should be in a position to start handling returns from Wednesday 24th September
CalorLite® retail outlets can be found using the ‘Find A Stockist’ facility at www.calor.co.uk/find-a-stockist. Click on the CalorLite® Stockist box and press search. Or call 0800 783 4141.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A 6KG CALORLITE® CYLINDER FOR RECALL
Cylinders manufactured in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 are covered by the recall. The date of manufacture of the cylinder can be found in two places on the cylinder base ring:
In a box adjacent to the words ‘Property of Calor Gas Ltd’ there are two letters, then two numbers which denote the year of manufacture, followed by one letter.
Cylinders to be recalled are 08, 09, 10, and 11.
This example shows a manufacture date of 2010 i.e. AP 10 B.
At the very bottom of the base ring the third row of text shows the date of manufacture i.e. 2008, 2009, 2010 or 2011.
Cylinders to be recalled are 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011.
This example shows a manufacture date of 2010 i.e. 2010/02
Please carefully examine the cylinder tare disc. Any 6kg CalorLite® cylinder which has already been recalled, tested, and confirmed as safe for use will have a small hole (5.5mm diameter) punched into the tare disc.
These cylinders are safe to use.
They do not need to be returned to Calor, even if the date is 2008, 2009, 2010, or 2011.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONSWhat has happened?
- Calor issued a product recall on 15th September 2014 for all 6kg Calor Lite cylinders manufactured between 2008-2011 inclusive following concerns regarding a potential material defect which over time could cause the cylinder to deteriorate and potentially lead to a gas escape.
Which cylinders are included in the recall?
- All 6kg CalorLite® cylinders manufactured in 2008, 2009, 2010 or 2011 are included in the recall and must be returned to a CalorLite® retailer immediately.
- 6kg CalorLite® cylinders manufactured in 2012, 2013 or 2014 are not affected and are safe to use.
I have a 6kg CalorLite® cylinder – what should I do?
All 6kg CalorLite® cylinders manufactured in 2008, 2009, 2010 or 2011 must be returned to a CalorLite® retailer immediately.
How can I find my nearest CalorLite® stockist?
- There are c.2,100 CalorLite® stockists across GB including all Calor Centres and Calor Direct sites.
- Customers can locate their nearest CalorLite® stockist by using the stockist search facility at www.calor.co.uk/find-a-stockist
How many cylinders are included in the product recall?
- The 6kg CalorLite® cylinder is the only cylinder that is affected by the recall.
- Calor estimates that there are c.170,000 6kg CalorLite® cylinders manufactured between 2008 and 2011 inclusive in the marketplace which will be covered by the recall.
Have there been any consumer incidents?
- There have been no consumer incidents to date.
What will Calor offer me when I return my cylinder?
- Upon return of their cylinder to a CalorLite® Stockist, the customer will be issued with a free of charge replacement 6kg CalorLite® cylinder.
What happens if the returned cylinder is half full/nearly empty? Do I receive a new full cylinder?
- Yes – a full replacement 6kg CalorLite® will be issued entirely free of charge if the customer is returning a CalorLite® cylinder as part of the recall.
Will I be charged for the gas?
- No, the replacement 6kg CalorLite® will be issued entirely free of charge if the customer is returning a cylinder as part of the recall.
Where can I get more information?
- Calor has set up a dedicated phone line for any customers who are worried about their cylinders or have queries regarding the product recall. The number to call is 0800 783 4141.